- Shikshapatri means a ‘letter of teachings'. From a very young age Lord Swaminarayan was highly educated in various important Hindu scriptures. His father, Dharmadev had personally taught him.
- Lord Swaminarayan selected key points from various scriptures & made a small ‘GUTKO' booklet. This formed the basis of the Shikshapatri.
- It contains 212 shloks.
- It was written in Vadtal on the 5th day of the bright half of the month of Maha VS 1882 (AD 1826), on the day of Vasant Panchmi.
- The Lord wrote the Shikshapatri in Sanskrit. It was later on translated into Gujarati, English & various other languages.
- This scripture shows us the way to live life, daily duties & how to behave in the family and society.
- Maharaj Mention 8 scriptures which are very dear to Him:
1) Srimad Bhagvatam,
2) Srimad Bhagvat Gita,
3) Vasudev Mahatmiya,
4) Vishnu Shatranam,
5) Vidur Niti,
6) Vyas Sutra,
7) Yagnavalkya Smruti,
8) 4 Vedas.
In order to attain salvation one should listen to all 8 scriptures regularly.
Shikshapatri Shlok 109
Lord Shree Krishna when accompanied by Radhikaji shall be known as Radha-Krishna and when with Rukmini (Laxmiji) shall be known as Laxmi-Narayan.
અને સમર્થ એવા જે શ્રીકૃષ્ણ તે જે રાધિકાજીએ યુકત હોય ત્યારે શ્રીરાધાકૃષ્ણ એવે નામે જાણવા અને રુકમણી રૂપ જે લક્ષ્મીરુપ જે લક્ષ્મી તેમણે યુક્ત હોય ત્યારે શ્રી લક્ષ્મીનારાયણ એવે નામે જાણવા. ||૧૦૯||